Wednesday 17 November 2010

Featured Artist: Harry Clarke

This artist was brought to my attention by a post at Fighting Fantasist earlier this month. The prints featured in this post are all black/white, and were published as full-page illustrations to E. A. Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination, probably around 1920 (my sources differ). Harry Clarke (1889 - 1931) was born an Irishman, and was educated as a stained-glass artist and book illustrator, he was also a leading figure in the Irish Arts and Crafts Movement.

What captures me about this work is Clarke's merciless use of black. It is almost like the white in his pictures are fighting for survival, something that lends itself well to the images in Poe's writing. Coopdevil of the Fighting Fantasist managed to get hold of a copy of a book featuring these plates, and I must say I am a little envious. Then again, until he posted on the topic, Clarke was an unknown figure to me, so I guess I shouldn't complain.










For more Harry Clarke, follow >THIS LINK<

1 comment:

  1. I love that last one. That thing in the coffin really wants to get out!

    ReplyDelete