In the last chapter (post not written at this point), the Pius Cabal visited Siltra, the City of the White Tower. The Tower is, according to legend, one of the seven Watchtowers of Argos. Here they were allowed entry to the library. Here is the essence of what was found about the Painted Man in the scrolls, tomes and tablets. Some of these points are hints, and more information can be found elsewhere on this blog.
- He his a Nefandic archmage, and a Master of Ars Abyssal, the Forbidden Arcanum believed to grant the Willworker immunity to Paradox.
- The tattooed body is but a vessel, and the soul is probably at least 1,500 years old.
- He has had many incarnations.
- He once wielded the sword Deicide.
- The tattoos are actually Abyssal glyphs. These glyphs form powerful spells, among these one that keeps the corpus from being consumed by the corrupted soul. Others are powerful wards.
- It is believed that he was once the Witch-king of Gerem Faït.
[Picture source: Peter V. brett - Creations]