Thursday 10 February 2011

Denizens of the Shadowrealms



"When I was a child, my grandmother told me stories. I thought myself a clever one, and knew she only wished to scare me. I knew that when I grew up, I would not be afraid of hags and marsh-wights. What a fool I was."




"Allow me to introduce myself, good sir. I am sir Malkemus of Geistwald, knight of this realm. You may not think much of it, but I can assure you that you'd do wisely to turn around and leave. Your kind are not welcome, and you may say my rudeness is for your protection. Good day, good sir." 



"Be wary of the little men, for they are cruel and have a wicket wit. Their delight is suffering and pain, and honesty to them is but a joke. They hate humans more than happiness, so should you hear their laughter, quickly turn away."


"Heed the King's Oath! Do not enter the Elfswood, for while the elf has left, the forest is awake. Strange things stalk the gloom, and none are friend to man or steel or fire."


"Aye, friend, 'tis a grim job, but every job needs doing. Every year there's more of 'em, and his Lordship wants his woods pure, so he does. So I set my traps each eve, and gather 'em come morn. A ha' crown for a fairy, three quarter for a gnome. Besides, next you know a child goes missing. Then you'll all come a howlin'."


[Picture source: 1 Vanja Todoric; 2 Omar Rayyan; 3 Adrian Smith; 4 unknown; 5 Steven Stahlberg]

6 comments:

  1. Geistwald. I like that term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat. You'll hear more about it in the future, as Velimir Tito has set himself up as the Baron of Geistwald spirit-court. Sir Malkemus is his highest ranking noble, and a knight of good standing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. I'll have to snag that last one for the Linwaer Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome to everything here, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So invigorating and special. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice thing to say :)

    ReplyDelete