Sunday 10 July 2011

5.000 gp and an Ice Cream Cone



The user Jetshield posted this little story in the Wizards Community forums. It's a wonderful tale of imagination, roleplaying, and the next generation.


"So there I am, watching my group bicker (in character) about how to get into the Temple of Akargon to retrieve the Rod of Improbability that's rumored to be there. The little one (she's 7), comes in from the next room, taps on one of my player's shoulder to get his attention, and says "I've got the key I can sell you."




Now, most groups would probably drop out of "game mode" at this point, humor her, and get back to playing. I don't play with most groups.


The player says to her (still in character) "What do you want for it?"


"Five thousand gold" she replies, "and an ice cream cone."


"An ice cream cone?! What's that? More to the point, where do I find one."


"There's an ice cream store over near the school, but they're closed now."


"What if I just give you six thousand gold instead?"


"Okay, six thousand gold...and an ice cream cone."


"No. No. I meant six thousand gold and no ice cream."


"No ice cream, no key." she says with her hands on her hips and a scowl on her face.


"I'm not sure it's worth it. We could just kick the door down."


"If you don't have the key, the guards will kill you. They're really tough. You'll never get to the door to kick it."


"According to our sources, there are no guards. Besides, a few soldiers shouldn't be much of a problem."


"They're statues that come to life if you don't have the key." [note: this is news to me]


"We can handle a couple statues if we have to."


"There's a thousand of them."


Another player chimes in (also in character). "If she's even half-right, we're going to need that key. I say we get her her ice cream. We're wasting time."


First player: "Okay, little one, we'll get you some ice cream. How do we find you when we've got it?"


"I live here, silly. I'll be in my room." She says, and heads off. [another note: the characters were having this conversation in a burned out ruin in the middle of a barren wasteland]


The characters head off on a quest for ice cream (minus one player, who went to the store to buy ice cream and cones).


[Picture source unkown]

6 comments:

  1. I'm seeing this "The Gamers"-style in my mind, with a little girl popping up suddenly next to the characters. I totally love the statues. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with that whole set up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm willing to bet she'll grow into a proper fangirl, and perhaps even a gamer, in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny. And wonderful. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete